Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Button Jar

The Button Jar

We’ve all seen them.

Perhaps, like me, your Grandmother kept one stashed away, making regular contributions as religiously she did to her savings account.

I look at this magical jar now, filled with bits of shell, bone and plastic that once faithfully served countless articles of clothing and wonder. Why were you rescued? Many are beguiling little numbers, easy to understand why they were granted reprieve. Others, well, no-nonsense guys whose job could only have been to provide security. The stories they could tell! I imagine the petite pearlies attending weddings of long lost relatives, dancing the night away. The clunky wooden gadgets enduring frigid temperatures while securing a thick woolen coat, covered in snow.

Every one of these has something to say. I should like to think that they would be happy venturing out into the world again after all those years in captivity. Now they find their way to various artsy things, hopefully creating rich new histories in a world a century removed from whence they came.










4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! You're so poetic, too :) I have my own button jar even though I don't sew. I use them on my crafts but I think the full jar of buttons is beautiful in itself.

    Renee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh! that button jar picture made me drool into my coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to dig thru that button jar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love running my hands through a box my mom had of (mostly white) buttons. I wonder what happend to those buttons, where they are now.

    ReplyDelete